ON MAKING PROMISES TO OURSELV ES
PROMISES MADE TO OTHERS AND TO OUR OWN SELVES
To dole out promises to somebody
For anything to be done as promised
The way others want us to do
Is the simplest thing on the earth
But a promise when made
Has to be fulfilled earnestly
With all the sincerity
At our command
It takes time and energy
To fulfill it fully
Promise not kept
Is equivalent to being dishonest
Which makes us suspect
In the eyes of people to whom we’ve made it.
In the process we earn a new name, a ‘turn coat’
Who cannot be believed at all – without doubt.
Doling out promises to others is one thing
But promises made to our own self
Is entirely different ballgame itself
It too requires a lot of self effort
In breaking from the often trodden path
To a new path free from negativity of any sort
May it be promise with our own self
To get rid of greed, jealousy or anger
Or ridding ourselves off bad habits of intoxicants
Or hankering after riches
Following corrupt practices
For fulfilling these promises to ourselves
We’ve to make a solemn vow
Promise to cultivate good values is more important
For ensuring, negative free mindset
Thus resolving not to resort to such bad habits
If we’re unable to keep this promise to ourselves
Then we’ll lose self esteem
Woefully even in our own eyes
Which we earn with a lot of difficulty
But if we’re not able to fulfill promises to ourselves
We shouldn’t make it in the first place
And change our default programming
Thus live a life full of confidence without deviating
From the promises made to ourselves indeed.
OUR PROMISE TO OURSELVES AND DESIRE TO FULFILL
We are not able to fulfill our own promise to ourselves simply because our ‘will of desires’ and ‘will of actions’ are contradicting each other – just differ in true sense of terms. In other words, both of these, ordinarily, are not in our control. We can say that these are beyond our intellectual capacity. When will of desire to act gets weakened due to our habit of putting off things, though may bring in its wake temporary relief from our action but ultimately it brings in its wake break in promise that we’ve made to ourselves. This way, pleasure we should have got from result of our action is lost due to our indecisiveness or inaction. Our indecisiveness or habit of procrastination or putting off things or keeping the things under the carpet sometimes results in just forgetting the true import of the promise made to ourselves. Promise to ourselves is just an ideal; fond vow or wish we want to fulfill.
PROMISES AND LAZINESS/INACTION
The habit of inaction at the crucial juncture may be due to lathargy / laziness may result in losing of face in the eyes of others and ultimately loss of self esteem. And respect once lost cannot be easily retrieved. It should always be remembered that it takes a lot of time and energy to gain semblance of respect but can be lost in a jiffy. No matter what excuses we make thereafter will cut no ice at all.
it is axiomatic that if we have depth of conviction when we make promises to ourselves, we should not forget the consequences of non-implementation of those promises.
WE ARE GUIDED BY MOTIVES AND EMOTIONS
Many a times,wWe are guided by our selfish motives and emotions, if we see some benefit for ourselves by making a promises, without giving any thought or consideration on whether what we are promising ourselves is practical or not, we will jump the gun and make promises, and thereafter when realization dawns on us, we go ahead and break the promise – finding that the promise made is impracticable. We also are generally, by nature, averse to facing any problems, and want a smooth sailing, for which reason, when we make promises we are swayed by emotions but when crunch time comes for the fulfillment of the promise we just turn our face the other side – in the process find ourselves red faced when confronting our own self.
MAKING PROMISES TO OURSELVES AMOUNTS TO MAKING A VOW TO OURSELVES
It should always be rememberd that making promises to ourselves means making a vow to ourselves. It should never be done without first going into the ifs and whats that we have to face in the initial statges itself. More on promises and less on delivery will serve no purpose. Some just say, why not acting on the task at hand straight away rather than taking a oath or vow beforehand and then worry about it whether they can keep it or not? Even otherwise vows involves future, which is unpredictable. When we analyse Bhishma in Mahabharata, who was blessed with wish-long life, made a solemn vow to serve the ruling Kuru king and defend Kuru King to the best of his ability despite analyzing that the future may not be as good as he anticipated. But he was duty bound to defend Kauravas despite their ill-design against Pandavas.
It should always be remembered that promises should be made after a lot of introspection on our part. These promises may be either to ourselves or to others. But care should be taken that if these are made then concerted efforts should be made to fulfill them with all the efforts at our command. In Bhagwad Gita it has rightly been said: Plan may not work but planning works.
Some promises made to ourselves are:-
- TO PRAY SINCERELY TO GOD AND FOLLOW A SPIRITUAL PATH IN LIFE. We should resolve to pray to our creator – love him as he craves for our love. He reciprocates our love should never be forgotten. In Bhagwad Gita it has rightly been said: The purpose of body by regulation is not physical deprivation but spiritual connection. Expansion of consciousness opens the self to self.
- NOT TO TAKE INTOXICANTS OR SMOKING. We should make a solemn promise to ourselves to not to take any intoxicants or smoking which impact our health and wellbeing in the long run.
- NOT TO PROCRASTINATE. A person with solid rsolve never puts off things. For him present moment is the opportune moment for any promise to be mae and fulfilled. Nobody has ever seen tomorrow.
- BE SINCERE TO YOUR SPOUSE. It should be our sincere promise to ourselves to be sincere to our spouse, in thick and thin. Promise once made in this should never be broken.
- UNSUSPECSTING INTEGRITY. It should be our honest endeavour to upkeep our integrity to the country we are living, because if our country is prosperous, we are. And for it, if even supreme sacrifice is to be made, we should be ready for the same.
- TO REMOVE THE NEGATIVE TENDENCIES FROM OUR SYSTEM. We have to make sincere promise to ourselves that whatever promise we make to ourselves have to be kept for keep negativity in the form of greed, corrupt practices, rancor, etc away from our system and live a life full of positivity and hope.
QUESTION : Do you make promises to yourself that you never keep?
Best Answer: Promises are to be made for keeping and especially so when these are made for ourselves. If we are unable to fulfil those promises made to ourselves then it amounts to self deceit and in the long run it would be self defeating exercise.
Be that as it may, those who promise with themselves and fulfill them are the people who count in this world of action. They are opinionated people and their viewpoints are respected by all.
ASKER’S RATING: *****