Our emotions are our companion in distress
Till such time we’re their masters
When these are excited beyond a certain extent
These may upset the apple-cart of our existence
Resulting in confusion and bewilderment
Because of our impaired judgment.
Whilst under the influence of heightened emotions
We’re not able to decide anything because of confusion
About what we should or should not do
Because our inner-guide being clouded
Since our intellect taking a big hit.
Then there may be prevalence of impiety
Since all our thoughts of reason has got a huge drubbing
And have fallen to the ground with a big bang.
Under the influence of heightened emotions
We may commit one mistake after other
Without realizing the consequence of our error
In the emotional upsurge.
In heightened emotions, we experience loss of memory
We do anything or everything
Contrary to what we should have done normally
Hence best course of action is good for us actually
Is to be master of our emotions
Remaining unruffled by any divergent situations
Taking charge of our emotions.
Essentially feeling emotionally strong can be made as a habit if we know ourselves fully. This could be done slowly but surely by remaining cool despite some external pulls and pressures. We are aware that all face adverse situations –undoubtedly everyone is having; difference is of degree. Need is to learn how to maintain self control or equanimity by reining in our mind and senses when crunch time visits us. If we are miserably swayed or swept by our emotions, we are in for trouble. Under the influence of heightened emotions, we would not be able to perform our job in hand efficiently, not behave rationally or reasonably since we would not be able to use our mental faculties fully due to non-focus. We may sometimes experience memory loss when under the heightened emotions.
The trigger for emotional upsurge may be on being affronted by somebody unfairly or when we are not given our due share by somebody intentionally just with the intention to pull us down.
In Bhagwat Gita it has rightly been said that when in heightened emotional-upsurge, or in anger or in bad mood, it leads to impairment of our judgment which results in loss of memory. It may also result in bewildered due to non-functioning of our intellect and we may ultimately get ruined. Especially, when our faculty of judgment gets busted we get negatively oriented. Any decision taken while under heightened emotions would be counter-productive.
While Arjuna saw all his nears and dears including his Guru Dhrona Acharya etc arrayed in the battle field, the ones who taught him everything, he felt emotionally upsurge, his judgement got impaired and hence he did not want to use his Gandiv agaist his own near relatives. Lord Krishna reminded Arjuna and advised him not to get swayed by his emotion and to see reason and fight since it was his duty as a Kshtriya and exterminate evil in the form of Kaurvas.
In fact, we are in for a huge trouble because emotional upsurge. It can lead us to problems of highest dimension. We also become prisoners of our own emotions – a situation wherein we want to come out but our emotions do not let us. This is because we have become obsessed with our emotions. Rather than maintaining balance despite uncontrolled situation, we go off the tangent in everything that we think or act,
I shall relate an incident of a few days itself. In an organisation where my friend is working, had their yearly raise/increment. My friend is proficient and conducts well in all the sphere of activities — the one who has total control over his emotions. Whenever there is problem in the organization, he comes with the solution and not making the problem still more confusing. Despite that my friend got less yearly raise than his colleagues reason may be any but it was too bad. What how my friend conducted himself that is the moot point.
Now, my friend could have three options:-
- Control over his emotions and conduct himself well under the circumstances.
- Request the authorities that be for adopting balanced or reasonable yardstick on the basis of merit and job performance during the preceding year under review.
- Get swayed by the emotions because of the provocation of his superior authorities with mala-fide intent and leave the organisation for which he had sweat to the maximum.
WHAT DO YOU THINK MY FRIEND MUST HAVE DONE?
I have mentioned that my friend is a man who has strong emotional control hence he opted for maintaining a balance and conducted himself with aplomb and with self-confidence or highest order as though nothing had happened and kept his cool knowing well that that was the only suitable option under the circumstances.
He did not react emotionally because of the consequence it would have entailed
An emotionally surcharged individual must have resigned from the post straight away but a strong willed like my friend acted just the opposite. Nobody has ever conducted with dignity when under the influence of emotional upsurge. The lesson that I garnered from such an episode was that when such a contingency arises keeping cool is the only option.
Controlling our emotions is easily said than done. It is possible by:-
- By exploiting our potential energy and learn how best to maintain calm despite provocation. This could be achieved with difficulty in the initial stages but slowly but surely we shall be able to be calm at all occasions. In all the contingencies, we shall be contributing something positive for others rather than being liability.
- Having self-control means we’ve control over our senses.These senses should serve us from time to time rather than controlling us.
- When in piquant situation, try to come out of the problem unscathed rather than being taken over by the fear psychosis – be the master of situation at all occasions. It should always be kept in mind that everybody has different problems but one thing is sure, a strong determination can deliver us.
- Always keep in mind that ‘time’is a great healer – always bear in mind that today’s can be forgotten after sometime but the impairment that we cause to our body and mind cannot be retrieved easily.
- It should always be kept in mind that we are the controller of our own destiny and having control and being master of our mind is the first requirement.