In real life, moot point stands out, we tend to measure ourselves not because of own standing, understanding besides level of achievement but what others think about ourselves. I attribute this perceptive factually fallacious in real sense of terms but it happens in real sense of terms.
In essence, there are different types of people. There are ones who are introvert and there are extroverts then there are people who are excessively self-conscious. Self-conscious ones are very touchy or temperamental. Anything or everything which happens in their lives, they’ll react and will not just keep silent. They are compulsive reactive people and with reactive tendency they cannot tolerate any criticism of anybody. Even a normal healthy criticism spoils their day or just a laugh or smirk will adversely affect their demeanor. It should be kept in mind that we do not get appreciations always. Sometimes, somewhere, we’ve to face adverse situation.
Nobody disputes the fact that we’ve to be self-conscious but it too has certain limit. With self-awareness, we shall be able to know our self-potential but of course our weaknesses too. Just eliminate those weaknesses to the limit possible. While we have confidence, we conduct ourselves appropriately in any situation. Always bear in mind that nobody has time and resources to waste on others. Just perform your duties, as assigned, and forget what others think about you.
Never ever take any sort of criticism seriously. May be the person who is laughing at you wants to distract you from the project you are undertaking and does not want you to focus on the project at hand. Also, if somebody browbeats you, laughs at you, it means that particular person does not like your growth in life. Or worst still, may be that person is mentally sick and requires psychiatric’s help.
Also, why to blame others for your drawbacks? You think others are laughing at you means there is something lacking in you itself and it is about time that you make amends in your attitude and behavior pattern and be confident about yourself.
Then we should always keep in mind that in whatever way we are created by our Creator, we should love ourselves; have the self-esteem to the best of our ability. In that self-belief, have self-affirmation.
If you are conscious about your looks, then we should always read about the lives of great men who changed the very idea that it does not merely the looks which count but their performance which makes huge impression. We should always realize that all those who created something different were not that handsome or beautiful. We have the fine example: like Mick Jagger (the Rolling Stone), Susan Boyle (The International Singing Sensation), Sir Winston Churchill , Napoleon Bonaparte (French Emperor), Hellen Keller and many more examples who made a name and fame for themselves despite their one drawback or other. These people were not self-conscious but were fully confident about their inner potential and made a huge difference.
More so, if you think that you are not having adequate education to impress others and that brings you lack of confidence. In that case, you should read about the life of Thomas Alva Edison. He had limited formal education – had to leave his education pursuits to work. But before his death, he had 1093 patents on his name for light and power, phonography, telegraphy, storage batteries etc. Such is the power of inner potential. Those who realize it, do not care about the extraneous things. They do not care about anything – somebody may laugh at them or not they care damn and go on in their lives.
The following aspects should be taken into account for making us confident and self-assertive:-
- Have self-confident to face any situation at all times.
- In life, we may come across different people, some may be of your liking while others may not be of your liking but you will have to adjust with everybody.
- If anybody criticizes us, introspect the point on which you are criticized and try improving that aspect. And if the criticism is far-fetched and with ulterior agenda driven then just ignore it and do not lose your sleep over this.
- Just think that nobody approbation at all times. There are occasions when we shall be laughed at or down-graded but we should not take this criticism very seriously. Let go is the only alternative.
- Stay cool and confident at any situation and never be reactive. When somebody is making your reactive or angry, it means the person concerned is controlling you.
- Your thinking that you are being laughed at may be wrong impression so it should be taken as a bad dream and forgotten as such. Let that person laugh or weep, it is not your business to stop him/her not to do so. If and what on this, may create problem rather than solving it.
- When you are mere laughed at should not spoil your composure since in life there are occasions when you’ll meet such contingencies but you should not be overly conscious about it all. Just take it coolly. Life does not stop here. It just continues. Laughing or weeping hardly makes difference.